top of page
  • Writer's pictureSteve McAtee

Loss, Grief, and Miracles

Updated: Dec 6, 2019

By: David Landolt

On June 4,2001, our daughter Jenny Rose drowned in our back yard pool. Within minutes, our front yard was full of First Responders, neighbors, and chaos. We were not walking with the Lord then, but some Christian neighbors gathered my wife and I in a circle and prayed for us. The pastor of a Baptist church down the road, met us at the hospital. He had tried to witness to me over the years.I had declined his invitations. That night, he was there to share Jesus' love with us. Pastor Charlie came back to our home after our precious Jenny Rose was pronounced dead. He did not come to proselytize but to pray for us and love on us. Pastor Charlie offered his church for the funeral and a burial site in the church's cemetery. He and his family showered us with love. Jenny Rose's death was our worst nightmare-come true. We surrounded ourselves with our partying-friends, trying to drink away our pain. When the people left, the crushing pain remained. Our family was devastated!

As time went on, Pastor Charlie didn't forget about us. We learned later, that his congregation prayed for us continually. In the Fall, Pastor Charlie's church suffered a "split." His little band of believers were meeting in the Music Room of the local High School. He kept checking on us. Inviting us to worship with them. On a cold Sunday in Feb. 2002, our family attended Worship. The Church Family there, circled around us, covering us with prayers and love. We continued going to Worship on Sundays. They had a small-group prayer meeting on Thursdays, which we attended weekly. Our pain and emptiness was awful! We found true peace, meeting with Jesus' people. I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior on April 25, 2002! I was baptized on June 17,2002. My bride and I continue to follow Jesus today! I serve as an Elder at our church, teaching Bible to kids in Preschool, Kindergarten, and Children's Church. As the years passed, Jesus' love and service eased our pain and loss.

Fast forward to Dec.22,2017. While I was on our farm, attempting to cut firewood, I suffered a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. The chain saw was running when I fell(. I have no memory of the following 41/2 weeks. ) According to my bride and other trust-worthy people, this is what happened. I crawled and "log-rolled" the 1/4 mile from woods to our house. I called 911 and remembered my bride's number at work. She and my Pa-tor met at the E.R. The First Health staff determined, that I needed to go to UNC Hospital by chopper. I suffered a seizure while they were getting me ready to go. It seemed that I was dying. My bride-Trishie began saying Jesus' name over and over, louder and louder. They were able to fly me to UNC Hospital. I had two surgeries and stayed for about 3 weeks in Intensive Care. According to medical people,95% of folks with my condition pass away. I was transferred to First Health Pinehurst, where I was in rehab for 2 weeks. God is good! Jesus is healing and strengthening me day, by, day! I can't wait to see what He has in store for me, next!

85 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

God has the Power to Make Beauty of Ashes

By Katherine McAtee - My story is full of twists and turns that life has thrown at me over my 27 years. My one and only brother passed away in 2014, as you have read about on this website. My 3 sister

The thread of suffering - Why God?

By: Anonymous With the number of close losses in my life, I noticed a thread running through them all. Why? Why did they have to suffer so long? Why so old? Why so young? Why so sudden. Is it oka


bottom of page